Thursday 30 October 2014

Weaving on a Wooden Picture Frame

Say you don't have a lot of money but you'd like to weave something.

I decided today was the day to work on a weaving project I started a few weeks ago and then got sidetracked. The reason I'm putting it here instead of my usual craft blog is I realized how much of it is re-purposed.

First off I made the loom out of a used wooden picture frame following the directions from a library book. If you don't have an old frame laying around, they are often available for under $5 at thrift stores. Just pick a sturdy one and make sure to get some sandpaper to smooth it so it doesn't snag your yarn.

I often buy yarn at thrift stores but it is usually unused yarn left over from someone's knit or crochet project. Well, I scooped up some bags of yarn balls without being attentive, and found out it was yarn that had been unraveled from a sweater or something. It was fuzzy and had lost all it's stretch. In other words, it would be a bad idea to try to knit or crochet with it again.  But I couldn't think of any reason I couldn't weave with it, and in fact it is working out perfectly. So I'd say the yarn was about $2.00. I did buy a new roll of cotton thread for the warp. That was about $2.50. Then I needed a shuttle so I cut the handle off of a wooden spatula. The spatula was actually new, but a whole bag of them was about $5.00...so it was a dollar.

In other words, this whole project is going to cost me under $7.00 and the frame is reusable for another weaving project. Sweet.



A shuttle I made from a spatula handle.

A loom made from a wooden picture frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment